Friday 17 January 2014

Audience Research and Audience Profile:

I have been looking at the website UK Tribes to help me come to a conclusion on what type of market I would like to sell my magazine to. Because my magazine is based on the genre of indie and alternative, I need a group of people that will represent my genre is a clear way. I want people who buy it to know a lot about what I'm trying to say and also be quite cultural and spiritual.
After looking at UK Tribes I have come to the conclusion that I mainly want to sell my magazine to 'INDIE SCENESTERS' this is because they are keen to find the newest music and are completely devoted to it. Also on UK Tribes it says that they like guitar music (such as The Vaccines) and also indie music, as it says it in their name. On the website it defined them as this: 

"Indie Scenesters are dedicated to finding the newest music, exploring all avenues to get there – online, print, record shops, club nights and word of mouth. Staying ahead of the curve is a must, but it’s borne out of a genuine love for music – and this is what separates them from those more fickle dabblers and dilettantes, the Hipsters. For Indie Scenesters, there’s nothing better than discovering new artists and spreading the love."

And this is what I want, people staying ahead of the curve and discovering new talent where nobody else is really looking for it. However whilst still exploring the site, I found another tribe that would fit into my bracket and I'm keen to sell my magazine to both of these groups. The next group I found was 'YOUNG ALTS', again the clue is in the name as to what this tribe likes in terms of music genre; on UK Tribes it defined them as this:




"Young Alts are the Tribe for young people who ‘want out’ of the mainstream. It’s an entry-level Tribe, with equal split between the sexes, and members share an inquisitiveness for everything Alternative – from Grunge to Hardcore. Experimenting with art, music and fashion unites the Young Alts, who are dipping in and out of scenes like there’s no tomorrow. Tribe members are likely to gravitate towards Leading Edge Tribes once they’ve figured out what they’re most interested in, but for the time being Young Alts are happy to get stuck into as much media as they can – from reading Penguin Classics on Kindle, streaming ‘Girls’ on Netflix (even the boys) and checking out the latest music on Spotify. Skater, Emo and Hipster trends are most commonly tried and tested by the Young Alts, it’s about keeping an open mind."

This is just a rough estimate on what my target audience would be like, however in saying that people from all types of preferred music taste can read my magazine. Although I am basing my general idea on these two groups so that I am able to focus entirely on what type of genre I am doing. 

Audience Profile:





Name: Florence Dawson
Age: 19
Occupation: Student - Studying English Literature in London however despite the work load she still has time to go to gigs and follow her passion for music
Interests: Fashion, Playing the Guitar and also being in a band which has a regular spot at a local pub - so she is keen to be as involved as she can be in the world of music and that means reading as many music magazines as possible.
Favourite Bands/Artists: Miles Kane, Slow Club and Tame Impala
Favourite Magazines to Read: Clash, i-D and Wire magazine

She is always on the lookout for new magazine that will give her inspiration for her own band, however she would like something a bit different as well; that means if she were to aid in my making of the magazine then she would like a good all round selection of music and not to be too specific with that either. I need to create a certain style with my magazine that will set it out from the rest so that people like her will be buying it on a monthly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment